Re: pure functions vs. functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57584] Re: [mg57415] pure functions vs. functions
  • From: "Marcin Rak" <umrakmm at cc.umanitoba.ca>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 06:03:58 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thanks for the thurough description of when one would go about using the
pure function.
I've never programmed in a language of this sort - I'm used to procedural
and object orianted but Mathematica (which seems to simply be a whole bunch
of statements nested one within the other is something completely
different).

Perhaps you could help me understand also the structure of programs in
Mathematica, by answering whether the following is true:
1) Each line of input in Mathematica is simply at most a whole bunch of
nested commands where the output of the inner is used as the input of the
outer?

2) The only way to program proceduraly in Mathematica is to employ the
entire notebook?

Thanks again
MR