Re: mml files
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg57636] Re: [mg57590] mml files
- From: "David Annetts" <davidannetts at aapt.net.au>
- Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 05:17:56 -0400 (EDT)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hi Alan, > I am using Mathematica to create 3D files that I now want to > send to be machined. I thought that .dxf or stl files would > be good enough but they are asking me for an IGES file. > Apparantly when Mathematica exports a DXF it breaks it up > into triangles which are then read as separate surfaces > making the generation of a program for a CNC machine > impossible as there are millions of triangles in the curved > surfaces I need to machine. Mathematica can export as .mml > (MathML). Is this helpful? What would you suggest? I would suggest reading the IGES spec, then writing a Mathematica routine to output your model in this format. Failing that, there are a number of commerical vendors that offer translation to & from IGES. Regards, Dave.