Solving double integral without Error function

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg57683] Solving double integral without Error function
  • From: "Xavier Brusset" <brusset at>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 03:04:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I have to solve this double integral:
Phi[ q_ ]=Integrate[Integrate[y(x-q)f[x,y],{x,0,q}],{y,2,15}]
f[ x_ , y_ ]=1/(2 Pi Sqrt[27])Exp{-1/54 [4 x^2 - 6yx - 50x + 9y^2 -30 y +

Mathematica 5.1 on windows fumbles a lot and finally stops giving an answer
in q but using the Error function (I am using the Statistics Continuous
distributions module).
The problem with the Error function is that when I combine this function Phi
into another equation, I can't find a root in q.
Which function of Mathematica should I use which circumvents the Error
function in solving the double integral?
Or, alternately, which root finding function could I use to find even a
numeric instance of q?

Thank you.
To send a mail take the _ and * out.
PhD student