Centering of graphics

Dear colleagues,

I am just writing a technical text with a lot of imported and Mathematica
generated pictures/graphics. I wonder how to center them automatically. Or
is there no solution for this "simple" problem? The contribution in the
MathGroup Archive 1999 "centering a figure" from P.J. Hinton did not work:
the picture keeps more at the left side  than in the center of the page. I
use Mathematica 5.1.

Any suggestions?

Best regards

Markus