a question about subscript

Hi,  my friends,

I want to take the advantage of the subscript in Mathematica 5.1.
I defined a function like the following:

v[t_]=t+t1

Since this is a plane text, I cannot type in the subscript t1 (i.e., t sub 1) for you. This is so simple which represents a time translocation of t1. I want Mathematica to compute v[0] and it is supposed to give t1 (ie. t sub 1).  I typed in v[0] but Mathematica gives me 01 (i.e., 0 sub 1). Obviously it is not the correct answer. Can anyone give me some insight of this delima? Thanks a lot.