Re: Mathematica equivalent complexplot

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg57846] Re: Mathematica equivalent complexplot
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 02:29:10 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

There are two well-known ways of graphically representing functions
having complex inputs and complex outputs:  CartesianMap (or PolarMap)
from Standard AddOn package Graphics`ComplexMap` that comes with
Mathematica and various functions in David Park's excellent 3rd-party
addon package Cardano3.

But your function is ostensibly a function taking REAL inputs (and
complex ouputs), so it's not clear just what sort of graphical
representation you even expect to be able to produce!

raf . wrote:
> This is a newbie question, I suppose. I've read as much as I can but cannot
> find a straight forward way to implement the complexplot in
> Mathematica 5.
> An example call could be complexplot(sin(x+i),x=-Pi..Pi) where sin(x+i)
> is a typical function f(x) that maps real to complex and -Pi..Pi is the
> domain of f, a..b.  Of course, there are various plot options which can
> follow and would be included before the closing paren but I think I can
> handle that.
> So any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks much for the response.
> Ron Francis