Text Manipulation

I spend a lot of time using Input > Create Automatic Numbering
Object . . .  to create references of the form : Proposition 3.7.9.
The relevant part of the cell expression is something like

TextData[{
   "Propostion\[NonBreakingSpace]",

   CounterBox["Title", "foo"],
   ".",

   CounterBox["Section", "foo"],
   ".",

   CounterBox["Proposition", "foo"]
}]

Here "foo" is a cell label and "Proposition" is a defined cell style.

I would like a more efficient way to do this. What I have in mind is
something like a function propref["foo"] which when evaluated in
place changes to Proposition 3.7.9, or a button, or a palette, or
something.

Any suggestions of the best way to go about this?

Garry Helzer
gah at math.umd.edu