Text Manipulation

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg57945] Text Manipulation
  • From: Garry Helzer <gah at>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 05:51:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I spend a lot of time using Input > Create Automatic Numbering
Object . . .  to create references of the form : Proposition 3.7.9.
The relevant part of the cell expression is something like

   CounterBox["Title", "foo"],

   CounterBox["Section", "foo"],

   CounterBox["Proposition", "foo"]

Here "foo" is a cell label and "Proposition" is a defined cell style.

I would like a more efficient way to do this. What I have in mind is
something like a function propref["foo"] which when evaluated in
place changes to Proposition 3.7.9, or a button, or a palette, or

Any suggestions of the best way to go about this?

Garry Helzer
gah at