Documentation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58234] Documentation
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at akikoz.net>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 02:49:52 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I guess I have been rather slow but I am gradually coming round to
the view that Mathematica's documentation leaves something to be
desired. For example:

?CoefficientDomain

CoefficientDomain is an option for GroebnerBasis and
PolynomialReduce. Valid
choices are Integers, Rationals, RationalFunctions, or Polynomials[var].

However:

?InexactNumbers

InexactNumbers is a setting for the CoefficientDomain option of
GroebnerBasis
and PolynomialReduce.

InexactNumbers are mentioned in the main documentation:

  Possible settings for CoefficientDomain are InexactNumbers,
Rationals, RationalFunctions and Polynomials[x].

but this is still quite hopeless as documentation as there is nothing
to tell the user that the proper usage is:

GroebnerBasis[polys, vars, CoefficientDomain -> InexactNumbers[n]]

where n is precision.

No wonder that I am yet to meet a person that has heard of numerical
Groebner basis in Mathematica never mind anyone actually using it.

Andrzej Kozlowski

Chiba, Japan