Re: Re: Asking questions

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg58260] Re: Re: Asking questions
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:56:17 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at
On 24 Jun 2005, at 16:28, Bharat Bhole wrote:

> Suppose I am running a code
> MapThread[func,{Table[d,{d,1,10}]] which takes very long to
> evaluate for the
> entire list. Mathematica gives me the output ONLY after 'func[d]'
> has been
> evaluated for all d from 1 to 10. Is it possible to make
> Mathematica give
> the output as it is evaluating after each d. For example, is it
> possible to
> make it give output after it has evaluated func[1], then func[2]
> and so on.
> Thank you for your help.
> Regards,
> Bharat.

I think you will need to use assignments to do this, in other words,
I can't see how this cold be done in a purely functional way. But in
a procedural way, here is an example. Suppose we run:

Do[u[i] = Prime[i], {i, 1, 10^8}]

which should take long enough for the demonstration. First evaluate
the above and then choose Enter Subsession form Kernel/Evaluation
menu. The evaluation  ought to be interrupted and you can check the
values computed so far:

(Dialog) In[3]:=

(Dialog) Out[3]=

(Dialog) In[5]:=

(Dialog) Out[5]=

will tell you the number of values mathematica has computed. When you
want to continue with the evaluation just choose Exit Subsession form
the same menu.

Andrzej Kozlowski

Chiba, Japan