fitting a function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58323] fitting a function
  • From: "Bosch, Darrell" <bosch at vt.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 05:13:23 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Group,  I have two questions:  First, I want to fit a function
relating utility to income based on some elicited data.  For example,
the following pairs might represent the income and utility values for an
individual:  {10,000, .3}, {15,000, .5}, {20,000, .6}, {25,000, .65}  I
want to fit the data to a function and plot the resulting function.
What is the best way to do this?  PolynomialFit seems like a logical
choice, but it's not clear to me from the documentation how to specify
the command for a series of pairs of points.

Second, how do I plot the resulting value of a polynomial fit in the
example below?  My 'ParametricPlot' command doesn't do the job.  Thanks
in advance for your help.  Darrell Bosch

<< "NumericalMath`PolynomialFit`"

In[28]:=

p = PolynomialFit[{1, 4, 9,

    16, 25, 36, 49}, 3]

ParametricPlot[p, {p, 0, 6}, PlotRange -> All, Compiled -> True]