Mathematica 4.2 and 5 errors

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54861] Mathematica 4.2 and 5 errors
  • From: stevethemathsman at gmail.com (Stephen)
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 05:07:56 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I am having problems with Mathematica 4.2. on a Win 2000 machine in my
office. I tried useing the lab computers and they have win XP and are
running Math 5.

The problem is that while using mathematica and if I do something that
would normally make an error message pop up (the message is not even
displayed) mathematica freezes and the only thing you can do is
ctrl+alt+del and kill the program. Even something as simple at typing
" } " will crash the system. Or having two varables that have similar
names.

They have only just upgraded the lab computers this year to xp and
math 5. The only other change that i can think of is the installed
firefox 1.01.

I am on a university network and I have talked to the IT guys and we
have tried doing an uninstall then reinstalling it but that did not
work. And that is the extent of there knowledge of mathematica so i
dont know what is going on.

I thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Stephen