Question to the world: Do you want an computer algebra program with a true GUI?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54871] Question to the world: Do you want an computer algebra program with a true GUI?
  • From: jamesahart79 at gmail.com
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 05:08:09 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello.  For some time now, I have been working on a free, open-source
project which allows the users to enter equations and then edit them
directly on the screen using drag-and-drop, dialog boxes, and
context-sensitive drop-down menus.  I've also given it the ability to
use the Mathematica kernel to perform more difficult calculations
(works on Windows machines only, at the moment).  I'm posting here to
see how many people would find something like this useful and whether
people think they would use something like this.  (Please note that
many, many features have not been implemented.  This is still very much
a beginning.)

You can read more about it and see screenshots at

http://mathdragn.squarespace.com

You can download it at

http://sourceforge.net/projects/equation

The download is an executable jar file, so you may need to install a
JRE from Sun to get it to run.  It runs on Win 98 and later, Mac OS X,
and Unix.