Re: Nested iterators in Compile

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg55053] Re: [mg55010] Nested iterators in Compile
  • From: "Wolf, Hartmut" <Hartmut.Wolf at>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:25:20 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

To: mathgroup at
>Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 12:35 PM
>To: mathgroup at
>Subject: [mg55053] [mg55010] Nested iterators in Compile
>The fact that iterators work differently when used in Compile
>seems to
>lead to a serious limitation:
>   Module[{s = 0},
>     Do[s += j, {i, n}, {j, i}];
>CompiledFunction::cfse: Compiled expression i should be a
>real number.
>CompiledFunction::cfex: External evaluation error at instruction 4;
>proceeding with uncompiled evaluation.
>The iterator {j, i} is evaluated before any value is assigned
>to i, and
>the evaluation of the compiled code fails (and if we add the
>initialization i=0 before Do, we'll only get an empty loop as
>the result,
>unlike the uncompiled version). So we have to resort to some
>such as changing the inner iterator to {j, n} and adding If[j>i,
>Continue[]] to the loop body, which of course decreases the
>Maxim Rytin
>m.r at

I had told you this before:

using compiled functions needs some sort of purposive pragmatism.
Also mistrust any compiled function f with

In[3]:= FreeQ[f[[-2]], Function]
Out[3]= False

This case can be solved easily:
In[4]:= f2 = Compile[{{n, _Integer}},
           Module[{s = 0}, Do[Do[s += j, {j, i}], {i, n}];

In[5]:= f2[10]
Out[5]= 220

In[6]:= FreeQ[f2[[-2]], Function]
Out[6]= True