Re: Surface Normal

Hi Rick,
here is how you get the normal to a parametrized surface:

x = (10 + 5Cos[v])Cos[u]  (* your surface *)
y = (10 + 5Cos[v])Sin[u]
z = 5Sin[v]

r = {x, y, z}; (*3D position vecto of your surface*)
ru = D[r, u]; (*Tangential vector in direction u*)
rv = D[r, v];(*Tangential vector in direction v*)
n = Cross[ru, rv]; (* normal *)
nn = n/Sqrt[n.n]; (* normalized normal *)

Daniel