Front End Help Browser Bug

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55254] Front End Help Browser Bug
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 03:30:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Here are two animations.

frame[y_] :=
  Plot[Sin[x + y], {x, 0, 2Pi},
    Frame -> True,
    PlotRange -> {Automatic, {-1.2, 1.2}}]
Table[frame[y], {y, 2Pi/24, 2Pi, 2Pi/24}];
SelectionMove[EvaluationNotebook[], All, GeneratedCell]
FrontEndTokenExecute["OpenCloseGroup"]; Pause[0.5];
FrontEndTokenExecute["SelectionAnimate"]

frame[y_] :=
  Plot[Sin[x + y], {x, 0, 2Pi},
    Frame -> True,
    PlotRange -> {Automatic, {-1.2, 1.2}}]
Table[frame[y], {y, 2Pi/24, 2Pi, 2Pi/24}];
SelectionMove[EvaluationNotebook[], All, GeneratedCell]
FrontEndTokenExecute["OpenCloseGroup"]; Pause[0.5];
FrontEndExecute[{FrontEnd`SelectionAnimate[200, AnimationDisplayTime -> 0.1,
      AnimationDirection -> Forward]}]

The only difference between the two pieces of code is the last statement that starts the animation. In the second case we can add animation control information and in the first we can't. (Or is there a way to include control information in the first form?)

Both pieces of code work properly in a notebook. But if they are included in a Help notebook and evaluated WITHIN the Help browser window, then the second piece of code causes fatal errors and total loss of window control when one tries to stop the animation by clicking. One ends up with pieces of text and graphics scattered all over the screen!

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/