Re: Add new option to Notebook[]

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg55277] Re: Add new option to Notebook[]
  • From: David Bailey <dave at>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 05:33:53 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

rod at wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to add a new option to Notebook[], so that I could write
> Notebook[{...}, NewOption->"new_option_string"].  Then I would be able
> to say Options[Notebook, NewOption] and get back the string
> "new_option_string".  Can this be done?
> I've tried Options[Notebook] = Append[NewOption, Options[Notebook]]
> with no success.
> Thanks,
> -Rod

Well, first, your arguments to Append are the wrong way round, and also
you would need to run Unprotect on Notebook in order to make this change.

However, if you do this, it would seem that Mathematica ignores the
change. I am not too surprised, because Notebook structures need to be
understood by the frontend as well as the kernel.

What are you trying to do - there may be another way to achieve what you

David Bailey