Re: Re: J/Link problem on Mac OS X

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg55300] Re: [mg55247] Re: [mg55204] J/Link problem on Mac OS X
  • From: Mike Honeychurch <M.Honeychurch at>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 05:35:07 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I'm afraid this is incorrect.

I invite anyone reading this posting to download JLink_3.0.2_OSX.tgz,
decompress it and check the version number of Jlink. Unless this has been
changed since my original post you will see that it is version 3.0.1

(notwithstanding that JLink`Information`$Version returns "J/Link version
3.0.2" when this package is installed.)

In =System`Private`FindFile["JLink`"]

Bottom line is that this package does not allow J/Link to work on my Mac
(Mathematica V5.1, G4 Mac running OS X 10.3.8). No examples in the J/Link help
reference or GUI kit help reference work with this newly installed package.
I suggest that whatever gets read to return J/Link version 3.0.2 is not the
actual Jlink application but perhaps some other information file in the

(the release notes file is also rather strange:

Heading: J/Link 3.0.1 Release Notes
 next line: Welcome to J/Link, version 3.0.2.)

Mathematica Version 5.0 JLink works fine on my computer.
In = InstallJava[]
Out =LinkObject[/Applications/Mathematica
\, 2, 2]

Whereas on Version 5.1 I get:
InstallJava::uifail: The separate Java user-interface link could not be
InstallJava::fail: A link to the Java runtime could not be established.
Out= $Failed