ReplaceAll / sequential replacements versus joint replacement

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55429] ReplaceAll / sequential replacements versus joint replacement
  • From: "Ronald Wendner" <Ronald.Wendner at uni-graz.at>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 05:34:40 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Suppose there is an expression e1 which depends, among others, on variables
a and b.
Replace both a and b by zero:

e1/.{a->0,b->0} Mathematica gives, say, result1.

Next, consider

e2 = e1/.{a->0};
e2/.{b->0} Mathematica gives, say, result2.

How can result 1 differ from result 2?

For my specific problem, I also attach a short Mathematica notebook.
[Contact the author to obtain the notebook - moderator]

I'd appreciate any help.

Many thanks,
Ron