Upgrading to v5.1?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55468] Upgrading to v5.1?
  • From: "E. Martin-Serrano" <EmilioMartin-Serrano at wanadoo.es>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 05:48:11 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I am running Mathematica 5.0.1.0 and yet reluctant to upgrade to v5.1. I
would like to enjoy some of the new features as, for example "Large Scale
Graph Layout". However, past experiences tell me to be cautious (remember
the "RealTime3D" fiasco).

From the explanations and examples in the available documentation at the
Wolfram site, I cannot figure out what the feature "Large Scale Graph
Layout" exactly does and how it interacts with Combinatorica. What I find
is, at most, just a rough approximation. I wonder why Wolfram does not
provide some sort of prerelease trial (perhaps online) for registered users.

I would like to tray some other features before deciding to upgrade. Is
there any way to it?

Best regards.

E. Martin-Serrano