Re: MD5 Brain teaser

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55536] Re: [mg55484] MD5 Brain teaser
  • From: stephen layland <layland at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:42:13 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

and thus spake "Marthelet, Luc":
> I can't find a Mathematica implementation of MD5 checksum anywhere.
> There is one email question in mathgroup in 1998 but no answer.
>
> Anyone feel like implementing it? I could use it.

I've did a Mathematica top-level implementation as part of a
Crypto package I'm writing, but doing bit-intensive algorithms in Mathematica
top-level is a pain.

I just made it available on my website, so please feel free to use it if
you wish:

    http://members.wri.com/layland/md5/

but be aware that for large strings this implementation will be painfully
slow.  If you need something fast, I've also hacked up a c implementation of
the algorithm to use mathlink, which will be much faster.

There are, of course, OS specific function one can use as others have
already mentioned.  My personal favorite is:

   ReadList["!md5sum "<>string,String]

    -ste\/e
--
|       stephen layland         |