Re: MD5 Brain teaser

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55496] Re: MD5 Brain teaser
  • From: "Peltio" <peltio at trilight.zone>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 02:39:26 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Barthelet, Luc" wrote

>I can't find a Mathematica implementation of MD5 checksum anywhere.
>There is one email question in mathgroup in 1998 but no answer.
>
>Anyone feel like implementing it? I could use it.

If you only need to access md5 sums from inside Mathematica, you'll be better off
with a simple 'interface' to a shell program like md5sum. This

    mmaMD5[filename_String] :=
        Module[ {cmd},
            cmd = StringJoin["md5sum ", filename, " > md5tmp"];
            Run[cmd]; ReadList["md5tmp", String]
        ]

will return a string with the md5 code and some extra information you could
easily strip off.
If you don't have md5sum on your system, a quick Google search will help you
in finding one.

cheers,
Peltio
It is highly probable that a Mathmatica program for md5 sums won't be as efficient
as a compiled executable (oh, BTW, there also is a md5deep program out there
-Google will help you- that promises to be more efficient than ordinary
md5sum that comes with Un*ces. Dunno if that's true.)