Re: Detailed implementation of Contour Algorithm

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg55533] Re: Detailed implementation of Contour Algorithm
  • From: "Carl K. Woll" <carlw at>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:42:09 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

"Ryan Tibshirani" <ryantibs at> wrote in message
news:d234bq$lhv$1 at
> Hello everybody-
> I was wondering if somebody could point me towards implementation
> details of Mathematica's ListContourPlot and ContourPlot3D functions.
> Thanks
> Ryan

The actual implementation of ContourPlot3D can be found in the
Graphics`ContourPlot3D` package. The Help section of ContourPlot3D states:
ContourPlot3D works by dividing the three-dimensional space into cubes and
deciding if the surface intersects each cube. If the surface does intersect
a cube, ContourPlot3D will subdivide this cube further,and so on.

On the other hand, ListContourPlot is a built-in function, and so you won't
be able to examine a package to find its implementation.

Carl Woll