[Newbie] Interpreting output

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg56642] [Newbie] Interpreting output
  • From: "MC" <daemmerung at>
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 00:46:43 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi everybody....

I'm having troubles in interpreting the output of Mathematica.

My problem is to define a function F(x,y,z) such that:
F = (whatever) if x>c
F=(whatever) if x<=c

I achievied this using /;

When I derive F with respect to one of the variables, the result is a mess.
Just an example with 1 variable:

Even in this very simple case, the result is a real mess:
I really do not know how should I read that...and I'm wondering if
I have defined the function in the right way.

Anybody so kind to explain me what's goung on?

Thank you very much for your patience