Re: Problems with eps format

In article <d59klr$6dh$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Chris Chiasson <chris.chiasson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why import a tif into Mathematica and then export it as an eps? Tif is
> a raster format, eps is a ~ vector format. It probably would take a
> long time to convert an array of color values into some sort of vector
> graphics.
> What is the native resolution of your tiffs? If they are moderate in
> size, that would explain the slow performance of the graphics array
> and associated statements.

I'm no expert on this, but my impression is that if you export a raster
image into eps (JPEG for sure, TIFF likely) with most graphics programs
you get just the raster image inside some EPS wrappings -- there's no
"conversion" of the image itself to any kind of vector format.

Am I wrong on this?  (as a general proposition, and for Mathematica in
particular)