Re: books on writing packages

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg56664] Re: books on writing packages
  • From: David Bailey <dave at>
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 05:26:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

marlinswin at wrote:
> I'd like to learn to write my own packages for both research and
> teaching purposes. Is there any good books or references on package
> authoring?
> Thanks.

David Park probably said it all, but I would just like to emphasise that
packages are really only a symbol hiding mechanism. Everything that you
can write inside a package can be written without one. The advantages of
using one or more packages only really kick in when you have a fair
amount of code and several people are working on it. Furthermore, most
people start by creating Mathematica code outside a package and package
it afterwards. By the time you have written enough working code to need
a package, it will probably seem fairly simple to create!

Apologies if I am stating the obvious,

David Bailey