Re: Re: Slow performance on OS X?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg56744] Re: [mg56616] Re: Slow performance on OS X?
  • From: Igor Antonio <igora at>
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 06:01:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Kenneth Bowman wrote:
> In article <d4so1c$abo$1 at>, "ragfield" <ragfield at> wrote:
>>>2.5 GHz, dual-processor G5 with 2 GB of RAM and OS X 10.3.9
>>I have the exact same machine you describe and I have never seen
>>problems like this (at least 5.0 & 5.1, I don't have 4.1.5 or 4.2
>>handy).  Try quitting & moving your ~/Library/Mathematica folder to
>>your desktop to see if the problem still happens.
> Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't help.
>>Look at the CPU usage with the 'top' command or
>>/Applications/Utilities/  Does Mathematica use
>>excessive amounts of CPU time?
> No.  CPU usage remains minimal.  It takes 45-60 seconds for Mathematica to
> start, during which time Activity Monitor frequently shows the process as
> "hung".  Opening a short, 3-line Mathematica file takes about 20 seconds.
>  This is on a nearly new system.  I don't have slow-downs with any other apps.
> Ken Bowman

Are you connecting to a Mathematica License Manager?  If that's the
case, then most likely this is the problem:  Mathematica is simply
waiting to hear back from MathLM before starting.  Try setting up a test
license manager on your own machine and see it if works fine.  You would
have to talk to your system administrator(s).

Another test:  Download a trial version of Mathematica and see if the
problem still exists.  Trial versions don't connect to a MathLM server,
so if it starts up, then that's another indication there is a problem
connecting to your license manager.

Igor Antonio
Wolfram Research, Inc.

To email me personally, remove the dash.