Re: Re: FilledPlot: Curves->Back option and Epilog not working?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg56965] Re: [mg56937] Re: FilledPlot: Curves->Back option and Epilog not working?
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 05:24:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Well, it seems a little quixotic. There is no problem in layering graphics
primitives in the order you want with Mathematica. It's especially easy and
intuitive with DrawGraphics, but you can also do it with the regular
Mathematica paradigm using methods such as Bob Hanlon laid out. And
DrawGraphics is free. I don't even want to ask how much Illustrator costs.

You have never specified exactly what you were doing with your WavePlot
routine. I'm just suggesting that if you were trying to include curve labels
then it may have been poor programming design.

Your point about using specialized outside software is well taken. But it
depends on what one is using Mathematica for. I'm not trying to publish
cutting edge scientific papers. I'm only using Mathematica to try to learn
some modern math and physics. I would like to have good graphics and
acceptable text capabilities. I would like to stay entirely within the
Mathematica notebook format. I'm happy to communicate with people via the
notebook route, even if that is somewhat restrictive. I want to concentrate
as much as I can on the technical material and not multiple software
applications. And I do find that I can make pretty neat presentations
entirely within the notebook format.

In some cases I think you are moving outside of Mathematica to other
applications simply because you have not learned how to most effectively use
Mathematica or to take advantage of Mathematica resources.

However, for making highly perfected publication documents your approach may
well be the best. How this will all sort out in the future still remains to
be seen.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: AES [mailto:siegman at stanford.edu]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

In article <d5musn$du3$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net> wrote:

> The only thing to worry about is that a subsequent filled wave will cover
up
> a previous text label. It might be preferable to put the text labels in
the
> Draw2D statement.

Wouldn't this be another classic example of why you should prepare the
graphics with the filled waves in Mathematica  -- something it's
"totally great" at doing -- and add the labels later in Illustrator?