Re: Re: Mathematica Notebook Organiztion

> Calculate plots ... with Mathematica ... export
> ... to EPS, PDF or QuickTime; polish ... with Illustrator;
> edit ... with QuickTime Pro ... publish ... with PowerPoint
> or Acrobat ... prepared with TeX or LaTeX ... web pages
> prepared ... with your favorite web preparation tool.

I don't see how that's simpler than a single tool that would do all the same things. The "monolithic" tool might have consistent interface standards and logic across all those tasks, and even if it didn't, I doubt the confusion could be greater than what you describe. Either way, the user has a LOT to learn; putting it all in one application and/or manual is a problem for a software provider, not a user.

The most convincing argument you've mentioned (IMHO) is the notion of competition. If Microsoft Word did a simpler job and depended on third-party tools for footnotes, headers, and page numbers, for instance, we might get a better result. There are such tools, too, but they're expensive. Far better to have a built-in capability, poor as it sometimes is.

Bobby

DrBob at bigfoot.com