Beginner : how to convert .bmp or .jpeg for digital processing

I want a simple way of processing grayscale and .bmp and .jpeg bytes (
for improving my digitized X-ray pics ).
No advanced processing as per application " Digital Image Processing "
is needed for me.

Being a Mathematica beginner, I failed in finding the way to convert
..jpeg and .bmp formats into 2D and 3D numerical ( 0-255) arrays.

Thanks for any help.