Re: Book for Scientific data Analysis

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57167] Re: Book for Scientific data Analysis
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 03:09:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <dot-1805050940580001 at 192.168.1.60>, dot at dot.dot (AG) wrote:

> A.G.
> WaveMetrics, Inc.
> Makers of IGOR Pro
> http://www.wavemetrics.com

OT, out of curiousity, and following up on recent threads about graphics
output from Mathematica in comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica:

Have you guys at WaveMetrics ever thought about making an add-on package
for Mathematica that would grab the output produced by executing many of
Mathematica's standard graphics commands -- for example, the list of internal
data points that a Mathematica Plot[--] command generates, along with
outputs from ListPlot[--], LogPlot[--], and as many others as possibly
-- and convert and export this info into a ready-to-run Igor plot, which
could also be touched up and further edited by the user in Igor?

I used to own and use Igor, way back, and loved it (though I did find
the interface had a somewhat steep learning curve).

A little later on I even wrote some primitive routines that exported
numbers calculated in Mathematica to files in a format that Igor could open and
read.

But as Mathematica's graphics capabilities got better and better (and faster and
faster) it just wasn't reasonable any more to try to learn Igor's more
limited numerical calculation capabilities, just to take advantage of
its graphics power.  So, I dropped away from Igor and went primarily to
exporting graphics output from Mathematica directly into EPS, and touching this
up where necessary with Illustrator.

If you guys made it easy enough to calculate (and view) graphics in
Mathematica as usual, using all or most of the standard built-in Mathematica
graphics capabilities, but then export the same graphic results in _one_
simple step to Igor for touch-up and polishing, you might pick up some
additional customers . . ???

(Apologies if you've already done this and I just don't know about it.]