Export, Import, Convert Types Again?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg57193] Export, Import, Convert Types Again?
  • From: Lee Newman <leenewm at>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 04:43:32 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Q: What is the (best) way to save a big expression of data to be used
later in the same notebook without having to do type conversion processing?

1) I have a notebook that imports data from various Excel spreadsheets
and converts the data to the desired types.  When complete, I "save" the
expression containing the data using Export, i.e,
Export["featureDB.tsv", "TSV"].  I do this so I don't have to re-process
the data everytime I do analysis on it in this notebook.

2) When I open the noteobook again, I import the data using the
statement:  featureDB = Import["featureDB.tsv"]

Many of type conversions that I took the time to process are lost.
Using Head /@ featureDB[[1]]  before and after the export/re-import, the
types are as follows:

Before:  {Integer, Integer, List, List, List, Integer, List, List,
Symbol, List}
After   : {Integer, Integer, String, String, String, Integer, String,
String, String, String}

So it seems that lists become Strings as  Symbols (e.g. True, False,
Null).  I use Export so I can view the data outside Mathematica using a text
editor -- should I use Save instead?  Is there another Export format
that will preserve mathematica expressions like lists upon Import?