Re: Clearing function definitions by argument type?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg57250] Re: Clearing function definitions by argument type?
- From: "Carl K. Woll" <carlw at u.washington.edu>
- Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 00:14:15 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: University of Washington
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
"Gareth Russell" <gjr2008 at columbia.edu> wrote in message news:d6mn17$gkf$1 at smc.vnet.net... > Hi Group, > > Is there a straightforward way to Clear only definitions that take > certain kinds of arguments? For example, I might have > > f[x_]:=x^2 > f=1 > f=1 > f=7 > ... > > and want to clear all f[number] definitions but not the DelayedSet > definition. (Note that the number of f[number] definitions will vary, > as will the numbers that each one takes as an argument.) > > My goal is to clear 'memorized' definitions after an optimization run, > where the memorized definitions are generated by a > > f[x_]:=f[x]=x^2 > > type of function, without clearing the function itself. > > Gareth Russell > Columbia University > One idea is to modify the DownValues of f directly: DownValues[f] = DeleteCases[DownValues[f], RuleDelayed[a_, _] /; FreeQ[a, Pattern]] Carl Woll