compilation problems on solaris

hey all,

Are there any known compilation problems with solaris? When I try to compile
something with gcc-3.4.3, and link with gnu ld, I'm getting:

ld:	skipping incompatible ........../libML.a when searching for -lML
ld:	cannot find -lML.
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status.

I'm pretty sure that I'm using a compatible system.. so I'm wondering if
the error is due to me using a gnu version of ld.

Anyways, my system looks like:

	SunOS .... sun4u sparc

and is running solaris 2.8

So -- is this true? Is ML not compatible with gnu's ld, or is it my system that
is at fault?

Thanks much,

Ed