Re: Solve or Reduce on a monstrosity of an expresssion (and a prize!)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57300] Re: [mg57278] Solve or Reduce on a monstrosity of an expresssion (and a prize!)
  • From: Daniel Reeves <dreeves at umich.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 05:12:37 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Andrzej, thanks so much!  I'm still stumped but I did just put together
overwhelming empirical evidence that your conjecture is dead on.  For all
n there are 2 roots:
 a negative one, -(n+1)^2 / (n (n-1))
 and the positive one, (n-1)/n.

The prize is officially being augmented by an order of magnitude!

--
http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/dreeves  - -  google://"Daniel Reeves"

"Math is like love:  a simple idea
     but it can get complicated."