Re: plot hyperbola

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg57292] Re: [mg57287] plot hyperbola
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 05:12:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

You could use the ImplicitPlot routine. First you have to load the
Graphics`ImplicitPlot` package that is in the StandardPackages.

  x^2 + 3 x^2 y^3 + 67 x^4 y^2 + 34 == 0, {x, -50, 50}, {y, -30000, 0},
  AspectRatio -> 1]

That is a difficult curve and I had to 'fish' around to find it. I also
changed the AspectRatio of the plot to 1 to avoid getting very high and very
narrow plots that went off screen. There may be other branches of the curve.

You can plot quadratic equations the same way and they will be easier.

For quadratic equations you may want to look at the ConicSections package at
my web site below. It will generate a parametrization for any conic section
which you can use to plot with ParametricPlot. It also will give the type of
conic, its parameters and how to transform it to standard form.

David Park
djmp at

From: bd satish [mailto:bdsatish at]
To: mathgroup at

  HI, i am a beginner. Will u please tell me how to plot
hyperbola,parabola,ellipse and circle in their standard forms
   x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1
  x^2/a^2 -- y^2/b^2 ==1 etc.
 Also how do you plot a general curve (y versus x), say
    x^2 +3 x^2 y^3 +67 x^4 y^2 +34==0
 *without solving explicitly for y* ( or x)
  Please help