restricting range?

I have a function that has multiple branches (using Which), but I would
like to restrict its evaluation to one branch for purposes of feeding
into Solve.

I tried
   f[t] /; t<1/4
and
   (t < 1/4) && f[t]
but neither works. I know I've seen something like this for square roots
in the Mathematica book,
   Sqrt[x^2] restricted to (Im[x] == 0) && (x >= 0)
but I can't find it. Can you help me?