Re: restricting range?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg57433] Re: [mg57429] restricting range?
- From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
- Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 05:38:56 -0400 (EDT)
- Reply-to: hanlonr at cox.net
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
f[t_]:=Which[t<1/4, a*t, True, 0]; f[t] Which[t < 1/4, a*t, True, 0] Simplify[f[t],t<1/4] a t Bob Hanlon > > From: Ken Turkowski <turk at worldserver.com> To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net > Date: 2005/05/27 Fri AM 04:57:59 EDT > Subject: [mg57433] [mg57429] restricting range? > > I have a function that has multiple branches (using Which), but I would > like to restrict its evaluation to one branch for purposes of feeding > into Solve. > > I tried > f[t] /; t<1/4 > and > (t < 1/4) && f[t] > but neither works. I know I've seen something like this for square roots > in the Mathematica book, > Sqrt[x^2] restricted to (Im[x] == 0) && (x >= 0) > but I can't find it. Can you help me? > >