Re: Limit of list

On 5/28/05 at 5:39 AM, guyi1 at netvision.net.il (Guy Israeli) wrote:

>Is there a way to find out the convergence point of a list of
>numbers?

In general, no. The problem is there are literally an infinite number of ways to continue any finite list of numbers. For example, consider

n + (n-1)(n-2)(n-3)f[n]

for any arbitrary function f will have the same first three numbers. More complicated schemes can be imagnined. All I need to reproduce the first three numbers is to arrange for additive term to have zeros for n = 1,2,3. So by choosing the function appropriately, I can make it converge or diverge as I want.

>for example if I have

>{1,2,5,6,8,9,10,11,10,11,12,11,12.. and so on}

If I assume the pattern displayed by the last four numbers persists, then the sequence doesn't converge.