Re: How to get decent quality plots.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57488] Re: How to get decent quality plots.
  • From: Dave <nospam at nowhere.com>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 21:00:05 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

>>The text on the y axis is written in a way I've never seen on any
>>publication, where there letters are stacked one above the other,
>>like floors in an office block. Normally the text is written as one
>>would normally write (left to right), then its rotated 90 degrees
>>on the y-axis.
>

> From you comments above, I am guessing you are using Mathematica on a Mac. There is a well known (amoung Mac users of Mathematica) bug with respect to rendering of rotated text in Mathematica on Macs. On screen, the letters retain their vertical orientation with the only the placement of each letter being along the desired line. However, the printed output is what is desired.
>
> There are a variety of work arounds for this problem. But all the work arounds I know of involve editing the graphic outside of Mathematica, clearly a situation that is less than optimum.
> --

No,
I was not using that on a Mac, but version 5.1 on an Sun workstation. I
have Mathematica on a PC at work, but not here at home, so are unable to
check how it looks on the PC. But it sounds like the bug you mention
might not be just restricted to Macs.

My printer is not working as it should (passes self tests, but produces
gibberish as output), so I can't actually see what it looks like. I
guess I could write the postscript to a file and view that with ghostview.

Thanks anyway. These have given me some ideas. I'll give half a day, and
if I can't produce the output I want by then, I'll export to Excel.