A Problem with Integrate

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61895] A Problem with Integrate
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <kmccann at umbc.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 05:31:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

When I try the following indefinite integral:

Integrate[1/(E^t*(t^3*(-1 + μ*t))), t]

under 5.2, I get

Power::infy : Infinite expression 1/0^2 encountered. More ...

0

That is, it somehow gets 1/0^2, and returns an answer of zero. On the
other hand, if I leave out the exponential and just integrate

Integrate[1/(t^3*(-1 + t*μ)), t]

It works just fine. A plot of the integrand and a numerical integration
works, just the symbolic chokes.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin