Re: Running the kernel as a daemon?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61874] Re: Running the kernel as a daemon?
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 04:58:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

"Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:dka0fc$70v$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| I'm back to trying to figure out how I can
interface with Mathematica from
| an external program.  This may be covered in
subsequent sections of the
| Mathematica Book, but I want to get this message
out before Today's
| messages are posted.  I'm currently reading
/2.13.8 Special Topic:
| Communication with Mathematica Front Ends/.
|
| Can I start a program - say a QApplication -
which has its own "event loop",
| not use MLMain, establish a connection to a
running Mathematica kernel, and
| communicate with the kernel asynchronously.

Yes just look in the main event loop of your
application not only for
messages from your GUI, look also for messages
from the Mathematica kernel.

| What I mean is that I want to
| be able to run my program and do other things
while the connection is
| opened, and waiting for my program to send
commands.  I'm pretty sure
| I /can/ do this, but I'm not sure how easy it
will be.  Do I need multiple
| threads in my program to do this?

it depend on the rest of your program, but
starting a single thread that
talk with the Mathematica kernel is a good idea in
a GUI environment.

| Also, I want to the kernel instance to run as a
"server" or daemon, in the
| same way it does for the front end.  Does
MathLink make that easy?

MathLink make it easy to launch a kernel and to
communicate with it, but
it is *not* a daemon, it  is a direct connection
between the two programs.

| Is there a C++ wrapper for MathLink? Where?

No in C++, but if you need a C-like object
interface .NET/Link will do this.

Regards
  Jens

| --
| "Philosophy is written in this grand book, The
Universe. ... But the book
| cannot be understood unless one first learns to
comprehend the language...
| in which it is written. It is written in the
language of mathematics, ...;
| without which wanders about in a dark
labyrinth."   The Lion of Gaul