Re: Running the kernel as a daemon?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61992] Re: Running the kernel as a daemon?
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 03:41:33 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <dka0fc$70v$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com> wrote:

> I'm back to trying to figure out how I can interface with Mathematica from
> an external program.  This may be covered in subsequent sections of the
> Mathematica Book, but I want to get this message out before Today's
> messages are posted.  I'm currently reading /2.13.8 Special Topic:
> Communication with Mathematica Front Ends/.
>
> Can I start a program - say a QApplication - which has its own "event loop",
> not use MLMain, establish a connection to a running Mathematica kernel, and
> communicate with the kernel asynchronously.  What I mean is that I want to
> be able to run my program and do other things while the connection is
> opened, and waiting for my program to send commands.  I'm pretty sure
> I /can/ do this, but I'm not sure how easy it will be.  Do I need multiple
> threads in my program to do this?

Perhaps Serializer, available from

  http://www.melt.kyutech.ac.jp/~miyaji/NetworkProgramming/Serializer/

does what you want? This is described in the book "MathLink: Network
Programming with Mathematica" by Chikara Miyaji and Paul Abbott
Cambridge University Press, 2001.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Abbott                                      Phone:  61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                            Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
The University of Western Australia         (CRICOS Provider No 00126G)
AUSTRALIA                               http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul