Re: Re: Mathematica GuideBooks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61965] Re: [mg61940] Re: [mg61916] Mathematica GuideBooks
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 22:41:51 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

When you get one of the Guidebooks, you get both the printed copy AND a
CD or DVD with the same thing as Mathematica notebooks.  The latter come
in two versions, one already evaluated (some B I G notebooks!) and
another unevaluated.

My experience is that I like having both forms.  For extended reading, I
much prefer to heft the printed volume.  For quick reference or trying
things myself, of course, the notebook form is more useful.

P.S. Regarding Steven Hatton's orignal posting about multi-volume
discount:  I haven't seen any, either at the publisher's site
springeronline.com or elsewhere.  Actually, given the size of the books,
the per-volume price is not out of line.  What's more, with each volume,
the accompanying electronic form includes unevaluated notebooks from the
other 3 volumes.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305