Re: Mathematica 1

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg61987] Re: Mathematica 1
  • From: David Bailey <dave at>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 03:41:29 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Daniele Lupo wrote:
> Hi to all.
> I'd like to know if there's a way to obtain and try the first version of
> Mathematica. I'd like to try it. Does it work under winxp and/or linux? I
> think that it can be an interesting thing, the seeing of the born of this
> program... :-)
> Daniele

How about asking Wolfram Research - if you have a current license, I
can't see why they should refuse - if they still have it. I don't know
about the first, but early versions used to run under DOS or DOS/Windows
using what was then known as a 'DOS Extender' (to get round the 640K
limit by switching back and forth to 32-bit mode). I think some of those
interfaces (DPMI but not VCPI) are still buried in the CMD command box,
so you might even be able to run it on XP!

David Bailey