Re: Bug in pattern parsing?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62009] Re: Bug in pattern parsing?
  • From: Kristjan Kannike <kkannike at physic.ut.ee>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 03:45:23 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Peter Pein wrote:

> Kristjan Kannike schrieb:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I may have discovered a bug in pattern parsing or applying transformation
> > rules.
> >
> > The following two rules should be equivalent:
> >
> > rule1 = c_.*X_.Y_ -> X.Y
> >
> > with c an optional variable, and
> >
> > rule2 = c_.*Dot[X_, Y_] -> X.Y
> >
> > Yet applying rule1 on a.b as
> >
> > a.b/.rule1
> >
> > gives
> >
> > 1.a.b
> >
> > (the same result obtains for the optional factor actually present as in
> > const a.b), but
> >
> > a.b/.rule2
> >
> > gives
> >
> > a.b
> >
> > as it should.
> >
> > I think that it has to do with the dot in c_., but curiously I get the
> > same result when writing the LHS of rule1 as Optional[c]*Y.Z and that
> > confuses me...
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > Kristjan Kannike
> > <http://www.physic.ut.ee/~kkannike/english/>
> >

> Hi Kristjan,
>
> the parser can not know what the user has in mind (and vice versa ;-) ).
> Try a space between X_ and the dot or write c_.(X_).Y_
>
> Peter

Thanks, Peter. I finally understood by looking at the FullForm of my

rule1 = c_.*X_.Y_ -> X.Y

that the Mathematica parser does not consider c_.  as part of a dot
product (as I had guessed), but "thinks" that X_. is optional, too.

If not a bug, it is at best a very ambiguous syntax.

And intuitively, I would think the parser should consider a dot to be a
dot product, unless explicitly indicated otherwise as in c_.*X_