Re: Mathematica 1

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62051] Re: Mathematica 1
  • From: Dave Seaman <dseaman at no.such.host>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 02:50:33 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 08:52:08 +0000 (UTC), Bob wrote:
> Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:
>> I once had version 1.2 for the Mac, but I used it on a 68K Mac II.
>> Mathematica itself came on floppy disks and even if still had them
>> (which I do not) it certainly would not run on any modern Mac.

> Why not?  I have plenty of programs from the 68K Mac days that still
> run fine on my current G5 Mac.  Granted, there are a few that don't,
> but I can't see how you can be *certain* that early Mathematica
> wouldn't run.

My recollection is that Mathematica 1.2 required a 68881 coprocessor to
run on a Mac II.  Such programs cannot run in the Classic environment.
It's possible there may have been two versions of Mathematica for the Mac
back then, one requiring the coprocessor and one not.  It made a huge
difference in performance on a Mac II.

--
Dave Seaman
Judge Yohn's mistakes revealed in Mumia Abu-Jamal ruling.