Re: feature request: invert plot axes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62121] Re: feature request: invert plot axes
  • From: Marcus Stollsteimer <marcus314 at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 03:31:18 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Bill Rowe wrote:

> On 11/9/05 at 5:05 AM, marcus314 at yahoo.com (Marcus Stollsteimer)
> wrote:
>
>>it seems that it is not possible to invert the x axis of a plot in
>>a simple way, so that the function is plotted from e.g. 1 to -1
>>(PlotRange->{1,-1} does not work).
>
>>Only lots of workarounds.
>
>>Am I right?
>
> Whether you regard your comments above as being correct or not
> depends on how you define "simple way" and "workarounds".
>
> I assume it doesn't matter to you how Mathematica creates the plot
> but only that the values along the x-axis are reversed from their
> normal order. If so,
>
> In[95]:=
> Plot[x, {x, -1, 1},
>    Ticks ->{{#, -#}&/@Range[-1, 1, 0.5], Automatic}];
>
> does the trick.

simple means:

  Plot[f[x],{x,1,-1}]

with automatically created, correct tick marks.
(both graph and x-axis should be reversed.)

in your case, graph and tick marks do not match.

Thanks anyway, also for all the other answers.

Regards,
Marcus

--
[...] Fasting is a big mistake. Particularly on an empty stomach.
   -- W. Allen