Re: Types in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62161] Re: [mg62152] Types in Mathematica
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 02:08:40 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Every function you write can be made to type its variables.  E.g.,

   f[x_?NumberQ] := x^2

   g[lis_List] := Most[lis]

   normalize[v_ /; VectorQ[v, NumberQ]] := v/Norm[v]

use: the built-in NumberQ function to test a property of the input x,
and the pattern test for having a head of List, respectively.

Sections 2.3.4 and 2.3.5 of The Mathematica Book are two places to find
this subject discussed.

I don't understand why you don't have access to search in your Linux
installation: Whenever I've installed in Linux and selected to install
the documentation, the usual HelpBrowser becomes available, including
its search capability.

The difficulty is, of course, in figuring out what to search for.  To
find section 2.3.4, I searched for "Types" in the MasterIndex of the
HelpBrowser; the relevant entry was for "Types, using patterns to
constrain".  To find section 2.3.5, I looked for "Constraints"; the
relevant entry was for "Constraints, on transformation rules, Condition".

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305