Types in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg62152] Types in Mathematica
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 03:33:11 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I know there are reasons for Mathematica not being a strongly typed
language, but I'm wondering if there are places where a type system might
be of use, and how it might be implemented, or simulated.

 One suggestion from The Mathematica Book is that we could create something
Vector3[x_,y_,z_], and test the head of variables to determine if they are
Vector3. I'm not sure exactly where in the book that is, and the Linux
version does not have a desktop search, AFAIK.

Observations?  Suggestions?
The Mathematica Wiki:
Math for Comp Sci
Math for the WWW: