Re: Defining variables in $UserBaseDirectory/init.m

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg62189] Re: Defining variables in $UserBaseDirectory/init.m
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 21:16:38 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Bill Rowe wrote:

> On 11/12/05 at 3:33 AM, hattons at (Steven T.
> Hatton) wrote:
>>Can I define my own variables in the startup init.m file?
> Yes. For example in my init.m file I have a the line
> $Landscape = 760;
> in my init.m file that I use to set the size of plots I intend to have
> printed in landscape mode.
>>I tried by simply putting a variable assignment at the end of the
>>file, and the result was that Mathematica erraced the entire contents
>>of the file.
> "erraced" = "erased"?
> Simply adding variables to your init.m file should not cause Mathematica
> to delete the contents of any file.

I put this at the end of the init.m, outside of all other expressions

$GuideBooksTOC =

, and when Mathematica starts it behaves as if I had done `mathematica
-cleanStart'. Even before I close Mathematica, `cat init.m' shows
SetOptions[$FrontEnd].  With no new line at the end of the file, I will

The Mathematica Wiki:
Math for Comp Sci
Math for the WWW: